How do I select the right Photomicrosensors(photointerrupter) for my application?
Commonly, the first step is choosing the sensing method, the transmissive (slot) or reflective type, that will fit best with the intended product design. Then decide on the body shape, sensing distance (the slot width for slot type), output, and the mounting and connecting method.
Please see Photomicrosensor Slection Guide for the options available for Omron’s built-in type Photomicrosensors.
Here is a general guide for selecting a Photomicrosensors:
The most typical usage examples of Photomicrosensors are: 1) Presence/absence detection; 2) Counting; 3) Positioning (origin point detection); 4) Disk rotating direction detection. Choose the optimal sensing method that suits each application.
- Related FAQE40003E: What are the typical applications for the built-in type Photomicrosensors?
- Related FAQE40005E: What is the difference in usage between transmissive and reflective Photomicrosensors?
For a transmissive (slot type) Photomicrosensors, choose the sensor’s slot width and body shape according to the size and entry direction of the target sensing object. Then choose the aperture width and aperture direction that suit the size and shape of the sensing object and the required position accuracy.
- Related FAQE4007: What is the accuracy of the sensing position of transmissive Photomicrosensors?
For a reflective Photomicrosensors, select a sensor type according to the required sensing distance.
- Related FAQE40014E: Explain cautions when using reflective Photomicrosensors.
The reflective Photomicrosensors is effective for detecting objects with low reflection rate or when background objects are present.
- Related FAQE40008E: How do light convergent reflective sensors work?
Choose the output type (phototransistor output or photo IC output).
- Related FAQE40006E: What is the difference in usage between a phototransistor output and a photo IC output?
Finally, choose the connecting method and the mounting method. For a typical slot shape sensor, the SMD connecting type is effective for downsizing of device and allows fewer man-hours of assembly. There are also the connector and pre-wired types when the Photomicrosensors is placed away from the main PCB. The connector type is convenient for maintenance such as replacement work (refer to below illustration).
|Sensors Photomicro Sensors